Friday, August 20, 2010

Connor Doran Flys High as Mom Stands By!

"Children with special needs don't have an illness, so there is no cure and it's not contagious. They want what we all want - to be accepted." My friend, Brenda Nyland Baker had copied these words down after reading them somewhere. She shared the idea with me in honor of Special Needs Week. It had resonated with her and when she shared it with me, it struck a cord, and touched my heart. Brenda and I share many memories and many similar thoughts. Somethings are so good, they must be shared!

Brenda helped me to bring my two youngest children home from an orphanage in Latvia 15 years ago and my life has been enriched beyond measure. While I have been raising my children and looking for answers, Brenda has placed over 1,600 kids into the loving arms of parents who desperately wanted them.

Like me, Brenda knows first-hand what it is like to have a child with special needs and to see that child struggling for acceptance. That child wants acceptance more than anything and it’s a joy to see acceptance in motion. That very idea inspired me to share yet another discovery with you.

Did you watch America's Got Talent last Wednesday night? If you saw the beaming smile of Connor Doran as he was applauded on the stage, your heart must have melted as you saw him enjoy full acceptance.

As I watched his mom enjoy his moment in the spotlight, my eyes filled with tears of joy and recognition. Truly, this is every Mom’s dream… to see her child be recognized and appreciated for his gifts.

We are more alike than we realize and we all have gifts that need recognition and appreciation.

Watch Connor now and see your spirits soar!


No comments:

Post a Comment