Sunday, May 3, 2009

Acknowledging Those Who Impact Us!

This 10-story high sculpture was given to the United States by the Russian government. It is located at the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor in New Jersey. It is a memorial to those that died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks and represents the tears that Moscow shed for the 9/11 victims. The constant flowing of water causes the sculpture to appear to weep. It is a lovely tribute that was not widely publicized or acknowledged.

I never heard of it before yesterday, yet it is right across the river from the Statue of Liberty. It did not spring up overnight, but somehow I never saw it or recognized this wonderful act of caring. It makes me wonder how many other special gifts and tributes have gone unnoticed and unappreciated. Far too many, I am afraid.

In my busy world, I have often neglected to recognize friends or share my appreciation for those who have impacted my life in a special way. Today, I am sharing my appreciation for this memorial. Further, I am pausing and taking note of the Russian people who showed us compassion at a very trying time in our nation's history.

I am also going to reach out to my special Ukrainian friend who was raised in Bayonne and has been there for me when I faced trials and tribulations. She was there when I faced the loss of my mother and was a steady presence when I faced the challenges of adoption. She has positively impacted my life, made many days special, and today is a day that I will acknowledge her as well. I am going to recognize her for being a very special friend to me. I am also planning to acknowledge her for being a wonderful mother and educator as well. She has found a way to balance all these roles simultaneously and deserves recognition.

I bet you have people in your life too, that deserve praise and recognition. Who has been there for you over the years? Have you paused to recognize them, lately? Perhaps, today is a good day to remember; to remember those who have positively impacted your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment